Dealing with strange Wikis
Today I found myself working with a wiki that shall not be named, which only allowed formatting via its own toolbar. No markup, no edit-as-HTML, no nothing. It also had fun bugs: selecting one particular line and setting its type to "Heading 2" botched things up, and marked the next line with the same type too. Hitting undo removed all "Heading 2" markups.
Needless to say, I got bored of fighting this system really fast, so I wrote a few dozen lines of Emacs lisp that translates MarkDown to keyboard events (gotta love controlling the browser from Emacs too!). With each save, I clear the edit buffer, and re-add it from the beginning.
So far, the results are great: no misformattings, and dramatically improved edit speed.
I love my editor.
Christopher Allan Webber shared this.