- I picked one DC Fringe Festival play to see this summer. I would have picked more, but it's a busy time for me. https://capitalfringe.org/event/all-for-the-union-2/Journalist women during the US Civil War
nukem likes this.
- Get ready for a LOT more mosquitos, when there are fewer bats. I'm moving to a house with a good backyard. Maybe I should put in a bat box.On the other hand, I think there's a dead-ish tree in the back yard that if it fell would only take out a fence, and http://www.batcon.org/resources/getting-involved/bat-houses says dead trees are even better roosts for them. Maybe I'll stick with benign neglect of my back yard for now.
- I enjoyed the Game of Thrones reference (penultimate episode) in this article about Theresa May's resignation:
- "You are playing 9x17 hard puzzle 72168You successfully solved the puzzle in 10 minutes, 26 seconds!
You have solved 17 puzzles of this size and difficulty,
with an average time of 16 minutes, 46 seconds,
and a fastest time of 7 minutes, 48 seconds." -- https://www.kakuroconquest.com/?sg=1
- https://www.kakuroconquest.com/ added a new 9x17 set of puzzles!
"You are playing 9x17 intermediate puzzle 55304You successfully solved the puzzle in 10 minutes, 37 seconds!
You have solved 9 puzzles of this size and difficulty,
with an average time of 17 minutes, 57 seconds,
and a fastest time of 8 minutes, 58 seconds."
I'll head on to "hard" next.
nukem likes this.
- I've worked my way through all the levels of kakuroconquest.com -- I guess I'll just bookmark, and maybe come back to playing on this level sometime.
"You are playing 9x11 expert puzzle 20948You successfully solved the puzzle in 20 minutes, 0 seconds!
You have solved 14 puzzles of this size and difficulty,
with an average time of 17 minutes, 0 seconds,
and a fastest time of 11 minutes, 50 seconds."
- Loading the car with donations for a massive Habitat for Humanity yard sale: The good feeling of clearing the house of things from an ex-boyfriend which I hadn't felt right about just tossing (working toaster oven, blanket, comic books, etc.). Also just lightening my kitchen up by giving away some tools I haven't used in a year, making it easier to find the ones I want. I know this doesn't work for everyone but I'm happy about it today.
- "How I miss my phonograph! To write a diary with a pen is irksome to me!" Dr. Seward, *Dracula* -- http://infocult.typepad.com/dracula/2017/10/how-i-miss-my-phonograph.html
- Having finally seen Rogue 1, I enjoyed reading this analysis of "the larger security culture at play in the Empire" which came out a couple of years ago: https://adam.shostack.org/blog/2015/12/cybersecurity-lessons-from-star-wars-blame-vader-not-the-it-d...
"There is a singular cause for these failures: Darth Vader. His habit of force choking those who have failed him. The culture of terror that he fosters prevents those under his command from learning from their mistakes and ensures that opportunities for learning will be missed; finger-pointing and blame passing will rule the day. "
Charles Stanhope likes this.
- A charming bit of art nouveau celebrating women and circuit boards: http://skin-horse.com/comic/2017-05-14/
Elena ``of Valhalla'' likes this.
- From Anita Hill's editorial in the Washington Post yesterday, "Take it from me: Life goes on": For me, Nov. 8, 2016, felt like an unwelcome flashback to October 1991 -- another sadly missed opportunity to affirm basic notions of decency and equity ... But what I witnessed after the [Clarence Thomas Supreme Court nomination] hearing, when thousands of women demanded tha our leadership in Washington reflect their experiences, gives me hope. I'm convinced that those who expect women to recede quietly will soon be disappointed.
- I always enjoy her fun and thoughtful fashion write-ups. I liked her SF novel *Persona* and got the sequel, *Icon*, but haven't read it yet.
2016-12-09T10:12:14Z via Identi.ca Web CC: Public
- I answered this recently in a survey for female video gamers: "Someone who gets results and can help her friends, whether through combat, smarts, mind-blowing artistry, or mad diplomacy skillz." Question: "What's a female power fantasy to you?"
- I read the novella "The Ballad of Black Tom" a couple of months ago and found it powerful. The protagonist's increasing anger (justifiable, but with unfortunate results) reminded me of Chester Himes' *If He Hollers Let Him Go*, but with reclaimed Lovecraftian-mythology elements. This Fresh Aire interview with the author was interesting. http://www.npr.org/2016/02/29/468558238/the-ballad-of-black-tom-offers-a-tribute-and-critique-of-lov...
sazius likes this.