- Unsolicited shout-out to @VillageTannery in NYC. I finally found the purse I've been needing for a long time, among their very fine hand-made offerings, and they were great about quick small mods: finding a shoulder pad on the spot, etc. Will be back. http://villagetannery.com/
- If you're reasonably expert in GPG Agent, Debian GNU/Linux, other agent processes that might be interfering with my gpg-agent :-), and with passphrase caching in general, DM or email me. I'll pay your top consulting rate. I ain't got time to debug this all by my lonesome.
- TFW "something changed" in Debian (I guess?) and suddenly my carefully-set-up gpg-agent-based master-password only-type-a-password-once-designated-unit-of-time persistent secrets mechanism, on which everything else depends, is broken. Why? Dunno. Debugging now commences :-(.
- Dear Internet,I have old-fashioned passive speakers, you know, twisted raw ends of speaker wire on both sides. I want a device that accepts computer audio input (3.5mm jack) and has two such speaker outputs, so I can play audio from my laptop on the speakers.Where to find?Yes, I've tried searching online. I've also tried asking in person at MicroCenter and even Guitar Center. Everyone I talk to is convinced that this exists, and that they've even heard about such devices, but so far I can't track down any specifics: brands, model numbers, etc.
- Oooh, the post I've been waiting for, from @emacsen:https://blog.emacsen.net/blog/2021/08/23/floss-mobile-os-aug-2021/And it's excellent! If you want an overview of the current state of software freedom on mobile devices, this is the post you've been waiting for too.
- Hey @NYTOnIt, any idea why the @NYTimes is so resolutely *not* on the complete collapse of the already precarious U.S. case against Julian Assange?It's been so bizarre to watch the crumbling of the case be well-reported elsewhere and yet the Times suddenly never heard of him...probably a similar reason why mainstream media who vilified former president Lula over and over now make faces when reporting the crumbling of every one of the cases against him. it's not just that they were wrong, it's that they've pushed for an outcome for reasons they'd rather not admit to, and reporting on the developments doesn't lead to the outcome they wanted
Karl Fogel likes this.
- Yo, @zipcar, your web site offers me no way to cancel my membership, nor even a way to remove my credit card information. The instructions given in *your own support page* do not work -- they refer to a "Your Membership" area that no longer exists.Don't be like this. Come on.
- Either @LenovoUS or @Lenovo just tweeted an ad-tweet that started with "calculus is confusing, buying a laptop shouldn't be" and went on from there.A real-life "Math is hard! Let's go shopping!" ad!But now it's gone from my timeline & their feeds.Anyone get a screenshot?
Mike Linksvayer likes this.
- Feel like @pbkauf either is all over this or should be:
- Loving the understated Tom Lehrer references in this paper "Chronofold: a data structure for versioned text" by @gritzko and Mikhail Patrakeev. (The paper is quite interesting in its own right, I should add, independently of the Tom Lehrer references.)
- The best people.
- I can't attend the @EFF 30th Anniversary "Fireside Chat: Founders Edition" livestream tonight at 5pm Pacific. But I *can* donate $300 in honor of EFF's 30 years. Ten bucks for each year from founding until now? Sure, that's a bargain! Want to join me?
- Wow. As clear, well-researched, and nuanced an article about a FOSS project controversy as one will ever see. @jrssnet and @arstechnica have done a huge service here. (It's really about MuseScore, btw, despite the headline's mention of "Audacity").
Doug Whitfield likes this.
- It is one of the mini-tragedies of the English language that there is no prefix adverbial option for "early"."The test allows us to earlily detect..." Bzzzt! Sorry, you must put "early" *after* the verb, where it fails to convince as an adverb and interferes with other things.
- May peace prevail upon the Earth.But if peace does not prevail, may my team win.(This more or less sums up my feelings after every time I read a newspaper, or for that matter surf my usual Internet sites. This is probably not healthy, right?)
- In the phrase "the exact same thing", the word "same" is an adjective. So why don't we write "the exactly same thing"? It sure seems like "exact" is modifying "same", and an adjective that modifies another adjective should be transformed into its adverb form, right?English.