- The release team is pleased to announce that #Debian 8.0 "#Jessie" is frozen. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/11/msg00003.html #freeze
Carl Chenet likes this.
Carl Chenet shared this.
satoshi and ageism in tech
Whether or not Dorian S. Nakamoto (64) is satoshi, inventor of bitcoin, I'm finding ageism in tech to be an interesting lens through which to look today.
The myths that have been circulating before: "satoshi" was some "shadowy pseudonymous cabal of libertarian cryptographers" (dTal); the bitcoin code was the product of genius. "My fifteen point list of obvious likely bugs was systematically destroyed by a codebase that quite frankly knew better" -- Kaminsky http://www.businessinsider.com/dan-kaminsky-highlights-flaws-bitcoin-2013-4
Compare with how I've seen the bitcoin code described today: "Satoshi's style of writing code was old-school. He used things like reverse Polish notation. [...] We have rewritten roughly 70 percent of the code since inception. It wasn't written with nice interfaces. It was like one big hairball." -- Gavin Andresen
Then there's the HN thread, which seems mostly concerned with protecting a kindly grandfather (who is into model trains no less) from the world, and various reddit threads in various stages of denial and confusion, which I stopped reading when I got to the predictable "(sounds a bit senile tbh)" http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zpuer/the_newsweek_article_is_probably_incorrect_look/
- If you contribute to Free and Open Source Software, and haven't yet done the 2013 FLOSS Survey, please do! http://floss2013.libresoft.es/index.en.htmlShow all 7 repliesLet's do this! :)
- OMG I can post notes again in chromium!
Glad to see so many (non-DD) visitors to DebConf13 here in Bdale's Freedombox talk.
- happy 20th birthday, #debian ! http://bits.debian.org/2013/08/20-birthday-debian.html (and no, it's not hex!)
- «On [Linux] kernel mailing list behavior» https://lwn.net/Articles/559061/ ← I'm really glad to see this discussion happening in #lkml circles.