- My Patreon mission is to make these easy:1. Run your own systems (any OS) with the software you need updated regularly2. Host your own flexible, trustworthy mail and web3. Own your data4. Contribute to a decentralized internetOne way to support: https://www.patreon.com/schmonz
- Our December presenter for the Jersey City Java User Group: @jbrains on how you can acquire #EvolutionaryDesign skills and apply them to your lasting benefit. Discussion will probably ensue. https://www.meetup.com/Jersey-City-Java-User-Group-JC-JUG/events/275046368/ #refactoring #tdd
- People using #qmail have been carefully applying patches for _decades_ to get #STARTTLS, #AUTH, and other basics.This will change.How should notqmail be shaped so that modern features like these are easy to land? I've collected some thoughts: https://github.com/notqmail/notqmail/wiki/Designs
- Announcing our next JC-JUG meetup: on Nov 17, join us for "Stop Obsessing about Primitives" with Ted M. Young!https://www.meetup.com/Jersey-City-Java-User-Group-JC-JUG/events/274098904/When's the meetup, in your timezone? https://everytimezone.com/s/e2218f27#Java #OO #XP
- Remember when meetups still happened in locations? 1 of 50 at today's #jcjug revival admitted to living in the NY area. (Not me.) Also the talk wasn't even about #Java.But we did real good, because we got "More Smaller Steps" with @GeePawHill.Watch: https://youtu.be/WYK4kbrmm84
- More fun than I'm entitled to: persuading #Python to build correctly on #Linux with a slightly older Python already installed. This abstruse use case — which if you had to give a name, you might call "updating" — now works. Just use #pkgsrc.http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2020/08/14/msg218942.html#EnormousCI
- Interpreted generously, the original American project aimed to break free of tyranny and defend human rights in a new, more universal way.July 4 seems a fine occasion to reflect that a more perfect union remains as worthy a project as ever.
- As we work toward notqmail 1.09 and beyond, we’d like to hear from more folks who’ve…1. Updated your #qmail or netqmail installs to notqmail. (Yay! Anything tricky?)2. Tried and failed to update. (What blew up?)3. Decided not to try yet. (What were some of your reasons?)
- notqmail 1.08 is out. Vulnerabilities and other bugs fixed, compiler warnings reduced, dead code pruned, presumed-dead code put on notice, my QMAILREMOTE patch added, and lo and behold, our first few unit tests.More: https://schmonz.com/2020/05/20/notqmail-108-released/ #qmail #notqmail #smtp
- I've guested on lots of podcasts; last month (before life got more interesting) I tried my hand at hosting. For the 100th episode of Developer's Journey, Tim Bourguignon tried his hand at guesting. Coincidence??!? (Also, how'd we do?)https://schmonz.com/talk/20200512-developers-journey/ #coaching #dev #podcast
- Finias, here’s world. World, here’s Finias: https://schmonz.com/2020/05/06/finias-tira-schleier/
Michele Montagna likes this.
- A very productive hour collaborating on https://shapemywork.com: two more people are set up to edit, and the 5 of us put our heads together to greatly improve the front page.Our next Zoom session: Friday April 24, 1pm Pacific, 4pm NYC, 10pm Germany, etc. (DM me for the link.)
Can I suggest using Big Blue Button or Mumble (voice only) instead of Zoom, and a free code chat tool (or federated network) instead of Slack? http://web.archive.org/web/20181208131734/https://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/slacking-off/