Amitai Schleier firstname.lastname@example.org
Enlightened doofus. Software development coach. Legacy code wrestler. Non-award-winning musician. Award-winning bad poet. https://agilein3minut.es podcaster.
- Announcing the initial 1.07 release of notqmail, a community-driven fork of #qmail that begins where netqmail left off: https://notqmail.org/1.07Themes for this release:- Fix broken builds (FreeBSD, macOS)- Make packaging easierI'm proud to be one of several developers bringing this valuable #LegacyCode back to life. Here's my personal blog post telling this first chapter in the story of notqmail: https://schmonz.com/2019/08/20/announcing-notqmail/#smtp #LegacyCodeRocks #c #dev #pkgsrc
- In my triumphant(?) return to Developer on Fire:
- relearning how to learn from a kid
- relearning how to work w/an extraordinary teammate
- gaining self-awareness via unusual feedback
- White Dude’s Guide To Inclusion
- being more effective together
Ben Sturmfels likes this.
- How did I first get a clue about #coaching?Mainly, dinnertime conversation with the primary author of "Is Female Visual Signaling to Male Song Socially Regulated in Brown‐headed Cowbirds?" and "Transitivity Types Predict Communicative Abilities in Infants at Risk of Autism".Bibliography:- 2014 cowbird paper (sadly paywalled): https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/eth.12341- 2019 autism paper (out last week, full text available): https://www.exeley.com/journal_of_social_structure/doi/10.21307/joss-2019-009
- Whenever I see @Andrea Goulet and M. Scott Ford at conferences, we always have mind-opening and actionable conversations. I hope my new guest spot on their #LegacyCodeRocks podcast, talking about definitions of #LegacyCode, does some of that for you.How did I address my performance fears and decide to play piano in recital in midtown Manhattan?How does this relate to #LegacyCode, #TDD, #MobProgramming, and the rest of what I do professionally?What does #Medtner's music sound like?All this and more on Legacy Code Rocks!
- Would your org benefit from a rare combination of technical coaching and impactful conversations? (Take other people's word for it, not mine: https://latentagility.com/testimonials)It's not too late to book me for Q4. Let's talk about what fits for you: https://latentagility.comWould you personally benefit from an individualized session with an experienced, inquisitive, and empathetic conversation partner? Maybe you're facing a challenging situation at work, a learning opportunity in some code — or both.Get in touch. https://latentagility.com
- Greater Than Code is always a wide-ranging discussion with cross-disciplinary thinkers, so it was a lot of fun to highlight a few of the interconnections between things we think and other things we think. https://schmonz.com/talk/20190724-greater-than-code/
- Seeking advice from happy open source projects.We have: decades-old still-useful code whose Benevolent Dictator For Life abdicated (de facto) many years ago.We want: to revive it as a community-driven open source project.My initial thoughts: https://marc.info/?l=qmail&m=156208533222604&w=2Help?
- One of my favorite projects, pkgsrc, is about automating builds of over 20k third-party applications on two dozen Unix-like platforms. It's... ambitious. And remarkably successful.What I’ve been up to lately: https://www.patreon.com/posts/pkgsrc-2019q2-28001236#devops #macos #netbsd #linux #smartos
- Ever wondered whether a #CodingTour is something you want to do? Or you're pretty sure you want to, but need help making it real?Reminder: I went on tour last summer (https://schmonz.com/2018/09/15/coding-tour-summer-2018-conclusion/) and am happy to help.
- I'm sad to say that active, skillful, empathetic listening remains a competitive advantage in IT, but happy to be taking advantage.I'm sad to say the same is true in healthcare, but happy to share a brief podcast where my sister talks about her teaching: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-active-listening-improves-patient-clinician-experience/id1...
- Sometime when I wasn't looking, https://agilein3minut.es crossed 60k (and 61k) downloads.I'd love to hear: What's a favorite episode of yours, and how did it become dear to you?And/or got a story about how Agile in 3 Minutes helped you change a situation for the better?
- Slides, learnings, and reflections from #deliverAgile2019: https://schmonz.com/2019/05/01/deliveragile-2019-strangle-your-legacy-code/Pssst: even if you weren't there, here's the coupon code for the #agilein3minutes book: https://leanpub.com/agilein3minutes/c/deliver19(Delicious hashtag soup: #LegacyCode #XP #TDD #MobProgramming #Dev #Agile #Scrum)
- How often does one developer know everything needed to solve a customer problem with code?
On that rare occasion, how beneficial is it to the business for nobody else to have been involved?
Here’s video of my #MobProgramming webinar with SmartBear: https://schmonz.com/2019/04/11/smartbear-mob-programming-explained/
- Toto, I've a feeling we're not not far from Kansas anymore.We were supposed to be, but today needing a plane from Chicago and a runway in Newark were two too many dependencies. Rescheduled for tomorrow's flight home. Switched Residences Inn. Went for a swim.
McClane likes this.