- My recent appearance on the Mob Mentality Show has just been remastered to use my locally recorded track. Now I'm quite pleased with the content AND the audio quality.Give a listen: https://mobmentalityshow.podbean.com/e/amitai-schleier-on-the-synergy-of-mobbing-and-coaching/#MobProgramming #Coaching
- On the first day of 7th grade French, our teacher said boys could pick any name except Hugues. She did not care for the sound.
So I picked Philippe and was a model student.
On the first day of 8th grade French, I asked for Hugues. She grudgingly agreed.
I raised my hand often.In high school French, we got a raised eyebrow and extra credit every time we correctly used the subjunctive mood.
(A few of us rephrased nearly everything we said, to game this.)
For a group skit, I played «le chef du subjonctif». Seemed like a good guy. But in a key moment, I turned directly to the camera and admitted:
«Je ne suis pas le vrai chef du subjonctif. Mais il ne faut pas qu’on le SAIT.»
“I’m not the real master of the subjunctive. But it’s not necessary that anyone KNOWS.”
Our teacher fell out, laughing through tears.
- Seeing awesome conferences in Europe in my stream. Perfect time to start thinking about my options for a year from now.What else should be on my radar for 2021, besides these? https://gist.github.com/schmonz/d77c70fd1e4a0667a286f8dab4034c9d#2021-considering
- Hi! I'm the new organizer for the Jersey City Java User Group. Join us, and please vote for topics you'd like to see presented next. https://www.meetup.com/Jersey-City-Java-User-Group-JC-JUG/ #Java #Kotlin #Clojure #Scala #JVM #dev
- Mini-SPA, on February 21 in Leeds, UK, is something of a tasting menu for the British Computer Society’s Software Practice Advancement conference. I’ll be presenting “Strangle Your Legacy Code”.Registration is free: https://schmonz.com/talk/2020-leeds-february/#LegacyCode #LegacyCodeRocks #TDD #C #Python #SMTP
- Nothing like a relaxing morning waking up with the sun, coffee, a crashed server, manual fsck, rebooting and crashing and fscking again, truncating and recreating the journal, crossing fingers, booting without crashing, and figuring out why some services haven't started.
- On his Programming Leadership podcast, Marcus Blankenship and I talked about building a collaborative open-source team in a software community with a long history of… not that. https://schmonz.com/talk/20200110-programming-leadership/ #LegacyCode #qmail #notqmail
- In March, for the New York City BSD User Group, I expressed a wish to avoid creating yet another #qmail fork.Tomorrow’s #NYCBUG talk is about my failure — notqmail is alive and well — and our success with it so far.#LegacyCode #C #Dev #SMTP
- Happy 140th, Kolya. #Medtner https://youtu.be/ihgNNpwf8y0
- Help a manager, teammate, or client keep their thinking warm for the holidays. Give them (or yourself!) the gift of #agilein3minutes — the simplest essays that could possibly work — with this seasonal Leanpub coupon: https://leanpub.com/agilein3minutes/c/winter19
- To start your week, I bring you 7 tips for "How to start pair programming": https://schmonz.com/2019/12/01/how-to-start-pair-programming/ #PairWithMe #MobProgramming #coaching
- When the International Rachmaninoff Conference asked me to play #Medtner, it had been a long time since I’d performed. Then my piano teacher said “You love this music. Give them a chance to love it too.” So I made one of the best decisions I’ll ever make. https://youtu.be/Dt7xzgkIQR4
- A couple years ago, Adi Bolboacă and I remote-paired on "Trivia" #LegacyCode in Perl. Now you can watch how we coped with frustrating network conditions and employed the "modulino" technique to get code under test. Enjoy(?)!https://schmonz.com/talk/20191121-adibolb-codecast/#PairWithMe #LegacyCodeRocks
- Energized by #GDCR19 giving you several new points of view on a seemingly small problem? You might enjoy the payoff from the larger investment of going on #CodingTour. Happy to chat about what it's like and how you can make it happen. https://schmonz.com/2019/11/19/manhattan-november-2019-global-day-of-coderetreat/