BasicsTent is a communications protocol. It lets users store any kind of data and send that data to other users in real time. Just like other protocol-based services like email or the web, anyone can host their own server or write apps. Also like email, users can host their own Tent server or use a Tent hosting provider. Tent stores data as posts on each server. Posts are JSON and can contain binary attachments. Developers can create new types of posts for any kind of data and create Tent apps for everything from microblogging to cloud file sync.
When Free Software isn't (Practically) Better - Benjamin Mako HillDespite the rhetoric, free software isn't always better than proprietary software and it isn't always particularly collaborative. Indeed, social science has shown that most free software projects are small and and the work of a single hacker. In this talk, I will walk through some of the academic research on FLOSS, and explain why free software "failures" are not something we need to be ashamed of or to hide and are something that we -- as a community -- can address and work toward!
- C* Summit 2013: Virtual Nodes - Rethinking Topology in Cassandra
Published on Jun 19, 2013Speaker: Eric Evans, Apache Cassandra Committer and Chief Architect at OpenNMS
A discussion of the recent work to transition Cassandra from its naive 1-partition-per-node distribution, to a proper virtual nodes implementation.
- Two big code merges happened in the last week in #mediagoblin: @joar's notifications branch and rodney757's start of auth plugin'ification.
وليد سعود shared this.
- Posted all my academic job market materials (w/ TeX source). http://mako.cc/go/i I hope folks find it useful!
- !GNU !MediaGoblin v0.4.0 "Hall of the Archivist" released! Document/presentation support, better plugin tools, and more! http://ur1.ca/ecnvh
- 5 years ago in the 'guardian': Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman !fsf
libre likes this.
- If you don't have an email address configured for identi.ca, please set one up ASAP. You'll need it to log in after the pump.io conversion.
- Hi, everybody. My name is Miami, I'm smarter than Alan Cox or Linus Torvalds, and I know everything. http://ur1.ca/cnbhz
Marius Gedminas likes this.
- all my papers are available at http://ur1.ca/1kmu5 no matter the unjust copyright transfers I've been forced to sign #pdftribute #aaronsw