2013-07-19T09:34:50Z via Puma To: Public
And for those who think that it is unreasonable to expect scientists not to patent their work, Wired reminds us of a famous counter-example:
as [Polio vaccine] inventor Jonas Salk told a reporter in 1955 when asked who owned the patent for his discovery, "Well, the people, I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"
Or DNA? Or human blood…?
Carlos Solís likes this.
2013-07-19T09:34:01Z via Puma To: Public
A nice quote at the end.
2013-07-18T08:36:02Z via Puma To: Public
- If I comment on someone else's post, how public is my comment? How can others find it? (I would prefer my comment be as public as possible and that it show up on my page.)
If I share someone else's post, how public is my share? Is it only shared to my followers? I think that's probably OK, right? Here, as before, I want my stuff to be as public as possible.Show all 8 replies
- Is anyone working on a variant web client for pump.io?
- I'm thinking of video projects for my #ESL students. I teach junior and senior high school students here in Japan. One thing my friend did with 12th graders is had them make infomercials. Wonderful stuff. I'm thinking of doing small commercials with seventh graders. Last year we did short skits and recorded them on video. That was low pressure because if anyone made a big mistake we just recorded that section again.
I'm trying to think of more fun video projects. Ideally things that could be done over a few days with 30 minutes a day, but other ideas are welcome, too. Thoughts?
- To people running their own pump.io out there, I have a question about server load. I rent web space from #Dreamhost and am thinking of setting up a server there. So I was wondering, how many resources should I expect the thing to require?
Here are some of my restrictions. Thoughts?
* Just one user. OK, maybe two or three, but not fifty or five hundred.
* That user might follow many others on other servers.
* Ideally others elsewhere will follow that user.
* No background processes allowed. (Can I even run pump.io without a daemon?)
* Cron is OK.
* MySQL is OK.
- Dear @evan, thanks for the hard work.
In the past, it was possible to look at my user page on identi.ca and read public posts from people I followed all without logging in. That was great for public machines. Is that feasible on pump.io?
For example, I used to use the URL https://identi.ca/dper/all and it was quite convenient.
- Dear pump.io client developers, I love all the great work! A small request: when you make updates, please post some information describing what's been updated. It makes us even happier to get the new versions (for which we were already happy, but now even more)!
Thanks for your hard work!
- Show all 12 replies
- Sure, as long as we dent faster than @evan can import :-)
email@example.com shared this.
- 4 million studying Japanese abroad http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/07/08/national/4-million-studying-japanese-abroad/ #JapanTimes