- @debian, are there issues with availability of snapshot.debian.org? Everything worked OK yesterday, but today I can't build images based on Debian Stretch with a timestamp 20170128T211018Z. Various packages can't be fetched from within debootstrap.
OpenWRT wiki cerificate expiredHow come a community like OpenWRT doesn't notice their SSL certificate is about to expire and even more so that it is expired now?
- The Debian Snapshot Archive http://snapshot.debian.org/ plays a crucial role in research reproducibility and repeatability. Does any other free operating system have the same concept of providing a snapshot archive?
- A nice article on optimizing #Docker images: http://www.centurylinklabs.com/optimizing-docker-images/
- From https://registry.hub.docker.com/_/debian/ : "Debian is an operating system which is composed primarily of free and open-source software, most of which is under the GNU General Public License [...]".
Are there any official stats on the number of GNU-licensed packages or did they make this up?Show all 5 replies
It's a bit strange, because it seems Docker points to Wikipedia about this sentence, but Wikipedia article says: "that is composed entirely of free and open-source software, most of which is under the GNU General Public License..." (emphasis is mine).
I'm not sure why Docker changes "entirely" for "primarily"...
But going to the point, about statistics on license usage in the Debian archive, I've found this blogpost from @Stefano Zacchiroli which references a talk @johns gave at FOSDEM 2012. Both the talk and the blog post give interesting data, and discuss about methodologies for counting the license usage. HTH!
- Has anyone ever managed to install OpenLDAP in Debian Jessie with cn=config? It seems like mission impossible! The closest tutorial I've got to is at https://www.lisenet.com/2014/install-and-configure-an-openldap-server-with-ssl-on-debian-wheezy/ , but that's for Wheezy. I get stuck at this step:
# ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f ./ldaps.ldif
SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
SASL username: gidNumber=0+uidNumber=0,cn=peercred,cn=external,cn=auth
SASL SSF: 0
modifying entry "cn=config"
ldap_modify: Other (e.g., implementation specific) error (80)
- In case you need syntax highlighting for AspectJ (or Groovy) in LaTeX: https://buergel.es/index.php/articles/latex-listings-groovy-aspectj.html
- Trying to set up OpenLDAP and SSSD. Each on its own seems painful... combine that together and then you'll see how time flies by.
- An app for bicycle routing that takes elevation into consideration and that can be used as a plugin in OsmAnd: https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=btools.routingapp
- Another reason why Adblock Plus is the king: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/advertising-firms-struggle-to-kill-malvertisements/?utm_sour...
- The Awesomest 7-Year Postdoc or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Tenure-Track Faculty Life - http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/07/21/the-awesomest-7-year-postdoc-or-how-i-lear...
- Free Software on the final frontier: GNU Radio controls the ISEE-3 Spacecraft: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/free-software-in-space-gnu-radio-and-the-isee-3-spacecraft