- Why I'm not hopeful after yesterday's revelations: Too esoteric. "they fiddled the math" won't incite rage at the grocery store. We already had that revelation: "they're reading all your gmail and yahoo mail." Unfortunately, that wasn't even enough.
Sure, a bunch of crypto experts and security geeks and idiots like me will make some changes to the way we do things, but will it be enough? Will what Bruce S suggested (having the engineers take back the net) really work if every single entity large enough to manage a global communications system is in every way a tool of the government (at least with respect to this)?Show all 5 replies
- Blogged - http://nbrightside.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/low-low-low/
The post I didn't want to write but I had to write.
Warning - completely devoid of humour and a little bleak but that's cancer for you.
PS. This was 9 months ago. No need to ask after me - I'm doing fine now.
Dvd Mrsdn shared this.
- Does anyone else have panic attacks checking and re-checking their booking dates on a flight? Yikessss.Show all 5 repliesI usually just check, re-check, check again, check to make sure, email the details to someone to ask them to check that I've not done anything stupid, check one last time, click the payment button, then check the resulting screen. After that I check the confirmation email, forward that to someone else to check, and then check their response. Finally I check the confirmation email and the itinerary page the next day, the day after that, each day before setting off, and in hourly increments on the day.
I wish I was joking.
- How I read the US Embassy in Iceland's warning about the Chelsea Manning protests:
"Stay away if you're a god-fearing American, cuz we're recording everyone's faces and will red-flag dem sumabitches faster than you can say 'fourth amendment', got that?"
@conservancy helps Samsung resolve #GPL compliance matter re: exFAT driver amicably. http://sfconservancy.org/news/2013/aug/16/exfat-samsung/ … #exFAT #opensource #FOSS #linux
Or directly, http://sfconservancy.org/news/2013/aug/16/exfat-samsung/
- I was going to post a note here complaining about a crowfunding project's "we'll do our best to open source it if we go bust" FAQ entry, but I got sidetracked into notating a long post http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2013/08/10/street-patrons-missing-coordination-protocol/
- The one bad thing about using a personal email server instead of gmail:
When I get an annoying marketing message from some place that got my address from a conference/something and I train spamassassin that it is spam, it only affects me.
It felt great when I would mark it as spam in gmail because I thought to myself "hah, hopefully this'll mean others won't be affected by this!"
- Ducktales, a whoo-ooh.Show all 5 replies
- You know, I feel really privileged to work at an org that is making discrete changes and planning more based on the NSA revelations.
Our logo appearing in an NSA slide doesn't hurt our motivation....
- I have just tagged v0.4 of DBot, named 'Jimbletron.' It's been six months and more than 800 commits since the last release.
The major change in this release is a complete rewrite of all data storage to support the data-agnostic storage library 'databank' (so you can use redis, mongo, whatever).
Apart from that, there are a countless number of new features including:
* Full asychronosity, meaning gigantic speed and efficiency increases
* Alias support for command access
* Additional quote commands + extra data stored
* External REST API
* Youtube module
* Spotify module
* Soundcloud module
* Identica module
* Github module
* Project status page (http://nourishedcloud.com/project)
* Reddit module
* Word definitions module
* UDP module
* Module for users to report channel members to staff
* Regex module
* Logging module
* Support for nickserv authentication
* "Flashy" module (http://nourishedcloud.com/flashy/red/0.4)
* DNS module
* imgur module (with the highly successful ~ri command)
* Network-wide kick/ban management with timers with automatic reason/banner storage
* Warnings module with web interface
* Staff notify module which records notifications and has web interface for history
* Improved config management
This along with countless other features, enhancements and improvements to how things work on the front and back-end. I've already started work on 0.5, which will bring features such as web login, and finally get started on realising the concept of an IRC-backed social network.
Thanks to all the contributors to the project through 0.4-dev!
- Off to get my disdended uvula snipped. No, not the other body part with similar spelling.
Rob Myers likes this.It wasn't the whole uvula... basically my uvula had the normal shape, but then at the base of it there was a long, thin segment of flesh (thin and almost almost tube-like) that hung down and constantly touched the tongue or the back of my throat... often times it would constantly feel like my throat was congested. They just removed that part. Also, they used a harmonic scalpel, which apparently was less smokey than older laser procedures, but still smokey... it's a bit weird to have a bacon taste in your mouth and to know that the bacon taste is your own flesh.
- MPs: laws on #GCHQ snooping "completely useless" http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/382711/mps-laws-on-gchq-snooping-completely-useless *now* they wake up? I knew about it 6 years ago.
Rob Myers likes this.
- @x11r5 fans: I will be converting him to pump.io sometime after the identica conversion. Not immediate, but hopefully soon.